Among many weight loss diets, the Wheat Belly Diet emerges as one of the most effective one to help you have both good figure and good health.
In a simple way, the Wheat Belly Diet, created by William Davis, MD, a preventive cardiologist, is the diet which suggests you eliminate completely wheat in your daily meals.
How does the Wheat Belly Diet work?
In William’s opinion, inactivity or high-fat diet does not cause extra fat but wheat-based foods. Wheat contains a unique protein called gliadin, which stimulates your appetite and causes you to eat more. Also, wheat increases blood sugar level, which causes your body to store calorie as fat. These are the reasons why William advises to stop eating wheat in his Wheat Belly Diet. He believes that by following it, you can reduce about 400 calories a day, which means you can lose one pound a week. And if you are stick to the Wheat Belly Diet, the result would be surprising.
The advantages of the Wheat Belly Diet
– You quickly lose a great amount of weight in a short time
– It lowers blood cholesterol levels
– It stabilizes blood sugar
– It reduces the chance of getting some diseases like acne, cataracts, diabetes, heart disease, and arthritis.
– It is simple to follow; all you have to do is to eliminate wheat in your meals
The disadvantages of the Wheat Belly Diet
– It may cause cravings and withdrawal symptoms to followers when they first eliminate wheat from diet
– Followers may find it hard to follow for a long time as they get used to having wheat in their meals
– Wheat can cause digestive problems if you eat it again after eliminating it for a time
Foods in the Wheat Belly Diet
Foods you should eliminate:
– Wheat-based products: breads, cereals, noodles, crackers, donuts, waffles, muffins, pasta, pancakes, pretzels, bagels
– Oat products: oatmeal, oat bran
– Cornstarch-based products
– Sugary soft drinks
– Fried foods
– Fast foods
Foods you should limit:
– Fruits: no more than 2 servings a day
– Fruit juices: no more than 2-4 oz a day
– Dairy products: no more than 1 serving a day
– Sugar-free foods
– Dark chocolates: no more than 40 grams a day
Foods you are recommended to eat:
– Fresh or frozen vegetables ( no potatoes)
– Healthy oils: olive, coconut, sunflower, avocado, walnut, flaxseed
– Raw nuts and seeds: sunflower seeds, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashew, peanuts, pecans, pumpkin
– Meats: red meats, poultry, fish, eggs
– Non-wheat grains: chia seeds, ground flaxseed
– Cheese: real cultured cheese
– Drinks like tea, coffee, water, coconut water, coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk
Some tips when you follow the Wheat Belly Diet
– As a starter, in the first week, you are advised to cut down the amount of wheat by half instead of eliminating it. From the second week, you stop eating wheat.
– You should add healthy oils to your daily meals.
– You should have a healthy and nutritious breakfast. You are suggested to change what you eat at dinner to breakfast, for example, eggs, poultry, cheese, salads
– If you want a snack, reach for raw nuts as the first choice.